Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mostly the voice (or not)

I was at the post office yesterday and the clerk asked me, "Are you a DJ?" For a second I was slightly embarrassed, wondering where this random middle-aged woman had seen me DJing.

And then she said, "...because you really have a good radio voice..."

I laughed and said, "Oh no, I'm not a DJ or anything like that. I'm actually a chemist."



Believe it or not, I never really told people outside of my music circle anything about my involvement with music. Especially when it came to work, I kept DJing separate from my job. At my previous job at a corporate laboratory, some of my coworkers were so damn nosy about me, probably because I didn't tell them much about myself.

This was when I recording The Last Amateur, so I was staying up late into the night, working in the studio until about 2:30 in the morning. Did I mention I had to meet up to carpool at 6:30?



So I would understandably be tired and fall asleep in the car if it wasn't my turn to drive. Of course this led to a barrage of questions:

"What do you mean you go to bed at 2? Are you watching TV? What are you doing? Why do you go to bed so late? What do you DO?"

And then when I started bringing boxes home from work to mail off extra records I sold on eBay:

"What are all those boxes for? Oh, eBay, huh? What kind of stuff are you selling? Records? Do people still buy those? Do you have a lot of records? Oh, you collect them. You know, if you were a good DJ or something, you could start your own business. Wedding DJs make good money!"

After that comment, I felt that I had to say something. I mentioned that yes, I did DJ, but I didn't really go into detail.

So the questions from more coworkers the next couple of days:

"So I hear you're a DJ? What clubs do you DJ at? Are you DJing at a rage this weekend? (seriously, she called it a "rage" instead of rave! haha) Do you do weddings? My sister's turning 18 next month, are you available? Will you DJ the Christmas party? You make CDs? You should bring one in so we can listen to it..."

Those might be normal questions for a DJ, but I'm probably the furthest thing from a club/party DJ, which people just don't understand. And even though I've played out many times (usually showcases or performances with MCs), I've never even DJed a wedding. And I shuddered at the thought of my coworkers listening to Popular Fallacies.

I don't know what it is, but I feel awkward talking about DJing to people who aren't hip-hoppers. Especially now, since being a DJ is nothing special anymore.

Just a ramble of a post. My apologies for not posting any music yet. Still working out the kinks.

Oh, and like most people, I can't stand the sound of my own voice.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment