Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Believe That's Me

If you're reading this blog, then you probably have some idea what I'm about musically. I like to take songs apart and put them back together. Sometimes I think I'm being funny. Maybe I'm not.

I rarely share this kind of thing with people in my everyday life, just because no one ever seems to know what I'm talking about.

On the way home from work one day last week, my iPod shuffled to this:



Now of course, everyone remembers The Symphony, that's a given. But The Symphony Part II used two different beats in the video for some reason: a piano-driven hip hop beat and a heavier jeep beat. If I remember correctly, the version on Marley's House of Hits had the piano beat straight through. So when I saw the video, I thought, "what the hell is that other beat?" Eventually found the jeep beat version on a 12-inch.

As far as the song, everyone came off, but I always thought that G Rap had the hardest verse (and the dope-ass Lench Mob pullover with the St. Ides crooked I logo on the sleeve!).

Thought it would be funny if someone cut Kane's "ahhh shit" from Ain't No Half-Steppin' with his line from Part II, "...made to fit, 100% legit, as soon as I hit..." as the bridge to it.

Here's what I came up with:



Even though G Rap had my favorite verse, I just used his intro and ended up using some of Craig G's and Kane's verbals. And the piano beat sounded better to cut to, in my opinion.

These are the kind of things that end up on my mixtapes (ugh, I hate using that term, though...). I'd like to think that one day I'll do another one, but we'll see.

John

5 comments:

  1. that was nice... also to hear how you put together that skit—thanks for sharing.

    I've always wondered how the original HOBOS tapes came together... I guess you had to dig for all the accapella's you wanted to scratch with and then do multitrack skits or did you guys spend the money to make your own sample records and go at it live? I've read a Dibbs article where he said it was hard as hell to perform a live set with everyone expecting something as complex as Turntable scientifics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original 1200 Hobos tape (Tapes Skills Techniques) was recorded before I became a Hobo. I'm sure all those acapellas exist on vinyl. I don't think too many people were pressing up their own vinyl in 94/95. But with Dibbs, you never know.

    Frank - we met at Scribble some years ago, right? I remember you asking me about Tapes Skills Techniques.

    Thanks for checking out the track!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I painted there a few years in a row. While still doing design work as a day job, my free time in the last 5 years has been collecting records and playin around on the decks with what I have. I made a mix if you're interested, http://www.dadbydesign.com/?p=483

    I never get bored of listening to you and similar dj's mixes especially from the mid 90's, I know it takes a lot of work to do mixes like that and much respect to the cats who did it before all the digital mixing came along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo, i've been meaning to ask... what mixer and/or sampler combo do you prefer?
    thanks,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frank - I (still) use a Vestax 06. As far as samplers, I use an S20 and an SP202 here and there.

    John

    ReplyDelete